lunes, 11 de enero de 2021

Does anyone?

Does anyone know a lot of history? 'Cause I don't. No, but I surely wouldn't have missed the main, most striking, historical events. Recorded events, okay. How about having read that at some distant, remote point in (space and) time, the world became crazy? Yes, out of their mind. Well, I never read about anything close to it. Except, perhaps, for one bittersweet event, not many decades ago.

The more I think about it, the more similarities I find between both. You may have guessed I am referring to Orson Welles. Well, actually a combination of him and one H. G. Wells. Two wells to fall in. For the price of one.

The title was War of the Worlds, and wreaked havoc in the United States, around--well, sometime in the last century. It sufficed to air--literally--a fiction story about invading aliens, and a part of the world became crazy. It didn't last long, though, and the broadcaster had to face a few tough consequences. But, apart from that, life went on.

Now, life is stuck. Lunacy is increasingly rampant, and freedom is, step by step, day by day, vanishing. It seems like a bad dream. Yes, yes, a nightmare, which is to say a bad dream. And maybe it is. Who knows anymore.

I can still play my piano. Just enough to enjoy it. Books, I rarely read any nowadays. Walking, cycling, or riding mechanical horses/birds is just out of reach, I don't know for how long yet. So all I have left is writing, And thinking. The impalpable man. Yeah, it's a short story I wrote a long time ago. El hombre impalpable.

I tend to see myself as a character of Samuel Beckett's novels. Just beginning to. Funny, in a way. I'm not pessimistic, just a bit numb. Outside it's freezing cold, and all I have to do is let the time pass. Or, at least, let the clock run. Freedom, as we know it, may never come back, but spring will, and with it...

With it, what? Je m'en fous. So long, Nobody.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No hay comentarios:

 
Turbo Tagger